My research focuses on the systematics and phylogenetics of aquatic beetles, particularly the whirligig beetles (the family Gyrinidae). I utilize phylogenetic reconstruction to study their evolution and diversification and am interested in the interplay between sexual selection and speciation in this group, as well as their historical biogeography.
- Gustafson, G.T. Baca, S., Alexander, A., and Short, A. 2019. Phylogenomic analysis of the beetle suborder Adephaga with comparison of tailored and generalized ultraconserved element probe performance. Systematic Entomology, doi: 10.1111/syen.12413.
- Gustafson, G., Alexander, A., Sproul, J., Pflug, J., Maddison, D., and Short, A. 2019. Ultraconserved element (UCE) probe set design: base genome and initial design parameters critical for optimization. Ecology and Evolution 9(12): 6933-6948.
- Gustafson, G.T. 2018. Cenozoic out-of-Africa dispersal shaped diversification of the whirligig beetle genus Aulonogyrus (Coleoptera: Gyrinidae: Gyrinini). Arthropod Systematics & Phylogeny 76(2): 295–302.
- Gustafson, G. T., and Short, A. E. Z. 2017. Review of the whirligig beetle genus Gyrinus of Venezuela (Coleoptera: Gyrinidae). Acta Entomologica Musei Nationalis Pragae 57: 479-520.Baca, S. M., Alexander, A.,
- Gustafson, G. T., and Short, A. E. Z. 2017. Ultraconserved elements show utility in phylogenetic inference of Adephaga (Coleoptera) and suggest paraphyly of ‘Hydradephaga’. Systematic Entomology 42: 786-795.Fikáček, M.,
- G.T. Gustafson, and Short, A. E. Z. 2017. On Wet Rocks with Snorkels: Immature stages of Tritonus Cascade Beetles with unusual modifications of Spiracles (Hydrophilidae: Laccobiini). Annales Zoologici 67: 91–107
- Gustafson, G.T., and Short, A.E.Z. 2019. Improving the targeted capture of Ultraconserved Elements for phylogenetic inference: A case study using the water beetle family Noteridae (Coleoptera). Entomological Society of America, St. Louis, MO., November.